POSTPONED TO SUNDAY, MAY 2nd due to FORECASTED RAIN
McCarren Park Sunday, May 2, 11 am- 4pm (originally scheduled for April 25)
Dear Friends & Neighbors,
The weather forecast for Sunday is calling for RAIN, RAIN & MORE RAIN. And while April showers bring May flowers, Town Square regrets that the Go Green! Greenpoint Earth Day festival is being postponed to the following Sunday, May 2nd. Please re-mark your calendar, dance the sun-dance and join us on May 2nd (11 a.m. – 4 p.m.) at McCarren Park, Brooklyn.
Here’re a few fantastic highlights of what’s been planned for you:
* NYS Assemblyman Joe Lentol will kick off the festivities at 11 a.m. with a song of his choice! We will also welcome other elected officials and major supporters.
* Education Displays & Vendors. Over 80 schools, community groups, companies, and government agencies will offer exhibits and merchandise, designed to enhance our understanding and appreciation of ourselves, our environment and the Earth that we all share. If you are a Friend of a park and haven’t yet signed up for a space, it’s definitely not too late. This will be a great opportunity to promote your park/organization, what you’d like to see happen, and what you’d like to accomplish. Please contact us as soon as possible, for you now have another week to sign up.
* Children’s Center. We’ll have wonderful activities for kids and kids at heart including soccer tips by FC Select Soccer, tumbling games by the Gym Park, chess challenges by the IS 318 Champions, an obstacle course by Ms J, interactive art projects by NY Creative Arts Therapists, judo activities by Sylvester Gawel Judo Club, earth-friendly arts & crafts by Spacecraft, and Box City. Box City is an organic playground to be constructed from cardboard boxes and fabric remnants by festival go-ers (in other words, you!), enjoyed throughout the day and then, destroyed as part of the inevitable recycling of our environment. It’s going to be a blast!
* Greencycle Swap.With the view that “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure,” we urge you to drop off your cleaned and gently used clothes, shoes, bedding, toys, and books. We’re also taking in bicycles & electronics (in working order please!) and computers (both working and non-working). Do browse through the selection and cart away as much as your heart desires. All remaining items will be donated to Goodwill.
* CitiStorage will also be on hand if you’d like to dispose of those highly sensitive documents in a secure and professional manner.
* Art, Science & Writing Contests.Contest submissions will be on display throughout the day. Our distinguished judging panels will announce the winners at 3 p.m.
* Blood Drive.The NY Blood Center will be on hand to run a blood drive. Your donation will most surely save a life – and that life could be your own!
* Live Music & Performances featuring Alex Smith and Mike Mizwinski, Baby Soda, the Gym Park Gymnasts, Pat Hull, the Polish American Folk Dancers, and Sylvester Gawel Judo Club.
Go Green! Greenpoint is a fun-filled day for kids and adults, involving many different parts of our Greenpoint/Williamsburg community. You’ll just have to come and check it all out. And please forward this email and poster on to your friends and mailing lists.
Please call Amy Chalkley at (347) 559-1410 if you have any questions, or e-mail her at email@example.com.